The PHS/Tree Vitalize Planting Program supports neighborhood volunteer tree planting. Tree Tenders groups in Philadelphia that are willing and able to organize a neighborhood volunteer tree planting event of at least 10 trees are invited to apply. PHS will supply the trees and pavement cuts. Submitting an application does not guarantee your group will receive trees. Eligibility and selection criteria are described below. Funding for seasonal plantings is limited.
Application Deadline: Monday, May 4, 2015 at 10am.
Tree Pickup: Nov 12-13, 2015
Planting Date: Nov 14-15, 2015
To be eligible to apply for trees you must:
- Be an active, approved Tree Tenders group, with at least three people who have graduated from PHS’ Tree Tenders class. For more information on the Tree Tenders program and to register for the next class, click here (http://phsonline.org/greening/tree-tenders).
- For first-time applicants, at least one representative from your Tree Tenders group must attend an Organizing a Tree Planting Training before you can begin soliciting applications. RSVP to Mindy Maslin at email@example.com or 215 988 8844.
If approved, your group will receive:
- Between 10 and 100 trees to plant in your neighborhood, based on your group’s request, capacity, and level of experience.
- The number, species, and type of nursery stock (balled & burlap, container, or bare root) of trees approved will be determined by PPR and PHS. Bare-root trees will be used wherever possible.
- Cutting and removal of pavement, as needed and as funding allows. However, please note that if the property owner cancels the tree request after submitting the request form and the sidewalk has already been cut, the owner will be held responsible for the cost of replacing the pavement. (Property owners are also responsible for removing any stumps.)
- Tree stakes and arbor ties.
- Fall 2015 Philadelphia Application Process
- Fall 2015 Philadelphia Street Tree Application -TT Group Cover Sheet
- Fall 2015 Tree Applications Spreadsheet
- Fall 2015 Phila Street Tree Request Form (save fillable PDF to computer and then complete, must have latest Adobe Reader XI version to save)
Official Tree Tenders groups, mail or email completed Forms, Group Cover Sheet and Spreadsheet* by Monday, May 4, 2015 to:
PHS Plant One Million
100 N. 20th St., 5th flr
Philadelphia, PA 19103
*Email completed Applications Spreadsheet to firstname.lastname@example.org.
LINKS & RESOURCES
Map your new trees at PhillyTreeMap
ABOUT THE PARTNERS
Plant One Million is a regional partnership led by the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (PHS) with a goal to plant one million trees throughout 13 counties in southeastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware. The goal is to restore the “tree canopy cover”—the area of land shaded by trees—in the Greater Philadelphia Region to 30 percent. TreeVitalize is a program launched by the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources in 2005 to increase tree canopy in urbanized areas.
PHS is the lead partner for TreeVitalize in southeastern Pennsylvania. PHS is a private non-profit organization that motivates people to improve the quality of life and create a sense of community through horticulture. PHS Tree Tenders is an educational program offering classes on tree biology, identification, planting, and proper care.
Philadelphia Park and Recreation urban forestry technicians oversee street tree planting and care within Philadelphia.